For students from India, Canada is one of the most favourite destinations for higher education. It is also one of the very few countries that have made immigration easier for students who have a student visa or study experience. Though many students from India study in Canada, very few know about the Canada student visa provisions. To apply for a Canadian student visa smoothly, one must be aware of the terms and conditions that have to be fulfilled to be eligible. Following are the most important things that you need to know about a Canada study permit.
What is a Canada study permit?
A study permit allows an international student enrolled in one of the Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) of Canada to study and, in most cases, work in Canada. However, one should remember that a study permit is not a visa. A study permit holder must either have a visa or an electronic travel authorization to enter Canada.
How long can a study permit holder to stay in Canada?
A study permit holder can stay in Canada for the entire duration of the study plus 90 days after that period. During these 90 days, they may either apply for an extension of the study permit or a work visa.
How much does it cost to apply for a study permit?
For students from India, the cost of applying for a Canadian study permit is CAD 150.
Requirements for Canada study permit
An applicant needs to fulfill specific requirements to avoid any legal trouble during their studies. To study in Canada:
- You must have enrolled in a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
- You must have enough money to fund your studies in Canada and meet your family members’ living expenses and family members in Canada.
- You should have no criminal background and must submit a police clearance certificate.
- You should be in good health and get a medical fitness certificate if required
- You must also prove to the immigration officer that you would be leaving the country once your study permit expires.
While in Canada, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must make progress towards completing your study program
- Fulfil the conditions in your study permit
- Discontinue the studies if you are unable to fulfil the requirements
- Leave Canada upon the expiry of your permit.
An essential part of applying for a study permit is documentation. Errors in documentation can even lead to the application for a student visa being rejected. You need the following documents to apply for a Canada study permit:
- Proof of acceptance
- Proof of identity
- Proof of financial support
- A letter of acceptance into Canada
- A Letter of explanation
- Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (If you want to study in Quebec)
How to apply for a study permit in Canada?
Applying for a Canadian study permit involves the following steps:
- Get all the required documents ready. If any of these documents are missing, the visa officer may return your application.
- Apply by including all the correct information
Following are the significant expenses involved in applying for a Canada study permit:
- Fees for submitting your biometric details
- Fees for taking a medical exam
- Fees for police certificates
After you submit your application, you will receive an email from the embassy or consulate asking you to submit your biometric information. Students may also be asked to appear for an interview with officials or send more details.
Once the application is accepted, the embassy will send the students a letter of introduction. Later, the study permit will be issued to the students and a student visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization.
Once a person arrives in Canada on a student visa, they must keep the following documents handy:
- A valid passport
- A letter of introduction
- Copy of the letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution
- Proof of financial support
- Letters of reference
- e-Travel Authorization, if required.
Why is a study permit application rejected?
Sometimes, the application for a Canada study permit is rejected owing to the following reasons:
- A student has failed to prove that they have enough money to support themselves in Canada
- They fail to pass the medical examination
- They fail to convince the visa officer that their primary purpose of coming to Canada is to study
- They fail to convince the visa officer that they will leave Canada upon completion of their studies
We are a reputed overseas education consultancy that has helped many students fulfil their dream of pursuing their higher education in Canada. If you are interested in studying in Canada, contact ImmiLaw Global, the best study abroad consultants in Kerala.